Monday, November 25, 2013

A Hodge Podge Halloween

A few months ago I thought it would be cute if our family dressed up as Duck Dynasty for Halloween. I had it all planned out, Hayden and Deacon could be Willie and Korie. Kerry and I could be Mrs. Kay and Phil, and Ainslee could be a duck. Adorable, right? However, Deacon wasn't willing. He was dead set on being a ninja turtle. Then Hayden went through a new phase where she was fascinated with mermaids and she wanted to be a mermaid.

Since Halloween is about the kids I gave up on my Duck Dynasty dream and let the kids be what they wanted. As long as I could eat some of their candy, we both still win.

My children plan what they want to wear for Halloween months in advance. I'm certain it's their attempt to drive me crazy. We'll be in the car in December on our way to see Santa and I will hear, "Mama, I want to be such-and-such for Halloween." Then again each month after that until we actually get the costumes.

Anyhow, we bought Hayden's costume in August. So when my very talented sister asked me if I had anything specific she could crochet for her new niece about to be born I told her I would love a mermaid costume. Oh and did she deliver! 
My littlest mermaid
Deacon the "minja" turtle...I have to admit, I loved the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles growing up. My brother was obsessed with them so we always watched the show, the movie, and played with his million ninja turtle toys. So I think it's awesome that my son loves them. Although, right now he thinks Splinter is a fox. Not sure if I want to tell him he's really a rat. (We really hate rats, one day I might be brave enough to blog about our rat incident...maybe.)
Deacon as Michalangelo 
We wanted to find a modest mermaid costume for Hayden. There are several out there for little girls that are not so modest. That's a tangent I will not go on for now, but seriously, have you seen some of the costumes they make for little girls these days?!

Okay, back to my Hayden. We found her costume on Amazon and ordered it immediately in fear that we wouldn't find one that we approved of if we waited til October. She loved it and she did look very cute.
My eldest mermaid


mermaid sisters
An hour before we were to leave for Trunk or Treat at our church, Kerry decided to dress up. He had enough items around the house to pull of the lumber jack look. I dressed as a tired mom who had to get three children ready for Halloween, and I nailed it.
our hodge podge
Before the Trunk or Treat started we rushed over to Shelly's house to trick or treat. Shelly's grandson got to pick out her costume this year. I think he did well.
mrs. shelly

Halloween 2013 was a success. Our church hosted a trunk or treat and we saw so many families that night. It was a lot of fun and such a great way to meet families living in your community.

My sister makes all kinds of crocheted baby items and sells them. Let me know if you are interested and I'll give you her contact info.

No comments: