Friday, August 17, 2012

Last Days of Summer Break

Hayden started back to school last Wednesday, August 8th.  While there were a few days I was ready for her to go back due to sibling arguments (which were ongoing some days), I was actually sad.  Our summers seem to fly by at a rapid pace since we started running the campground.  It feels like I just picked her up from the last day of Kindergarten yesterday, and now I have to send her back...and to a whole new grade level at that!  She is my big first grader now.  How did this happen?  

A few weeks before school started I was browsing Pinterest and came across this:

I hope my children look back on today
And see a mother who had time to play.
There will be years for cleaning and cooking...
For children grow up while we're not looking.

So last week whenever Hayden asked, "Mama, will you play with me?" I immediately thought about that very quote, put down what I was doing, and said, "Sure, what do you want to play?"  Her face lit up as she said "beauty shop!"

She needed some time to set up her beauty shop so I finished cleaning the kitchen while she got everything ready.  A few minutes later into the kitchen she came, all smiles saying, "It's ready!"  As I walked into her room she had a beauty station set up with combs, brushes, clips, and bows.  Her CD player was blaring a Dolly Parton CD she had bought a year ago in Branson.  The girl loves Dolly (one of the things I love about my Hayden is her innocent confidence.  When she loves something she loves it proudly, she doesn't care what anyone else thinks.  I'm so glad she still has this, I hope she never loses it with age.)

As "Coat of Many Colors" starts to go off she leans in and asks if I would like her to put it on repeat (this is her favorite song, some days she lets it repeat well over 20 times.)  I try not to giggle, and then tell her, "It's okay, I would rather listen to the whole CD."

She did several different up-do's and down-do's to my hair...one involved a leg warmer she fashioned into a scrunci and then begged me to wear in public later.  She did pretend make-up with her markers and crayons (since she had left her real make-up kit at the campground).  

We had a fabulous time.


Hayden singing along to Dolly as she beautifies me.
The next day we loaded up for our annual last-day-of-summer-family-trip we take each year.  We didn't tell them where we were headed, we wanted to surprise them.

I don't know if it's because I love surprises so much, but I love to surprise my kids.  I love their little giddy faces as they try to figure it out.

Loaded up in the car and ready for the surprise destination!
So Kerry and I have always loved Pops in Arcadia.  We stop there just about every time we are in the OKC area.  I've even blogged about it before in Family Road Trip...I know, I'm kind of obsessed.  But it's awesome, so, it's okay.  Pops was our first stop.



Hayden always willing to pose for a picture.  Deacon is staring at the pop cases ready to get his pop!
I had found an awesome family package deal at water park on Groupon the previous week, and if you know me at all, you know I'm all about a good deal!  I looked it up online and asked around and it seemed perfect for younger kids.

Surprise destination #2:  Andy's Alligator Water Park in Norman!  As we got closer to the water park you could see the slides.  My kids had two different reactions going on.  Hayden is grinning ear to ear and bouncing in her seat, Deacon is nervous and already muttering, "I not riding the slide."

We get inside the park and after much reassuring poor Deacon that he does not in fact have to ride the giant slide, we began to have some fun.  Hayden and Kerry took off for the big slides and Deacon and I hung out in the lazy river and the kiddie area.


Deacon and I watching Daddy and Sissy ride the racing slides.



I love these two so much!

Hayden doing her signature pose

When Kerry and I lived in Norman (oh, how I love and miss it) we ate at Texadelphia a lot.  For me, there is something so comforting about going back now and eating there.  It's pretty much a given if we are in Norman. My kids actually love it too.  We have taken them a few times.  I almost always get the steak nachos.  They are so...well...look at them.  They are awesome!


Hayden asked if we could drive by OU afterwards...yes she is Sooner born.  So of course we did, and since it wasn't busy we got out for a bit and let the kids look around.
They begged to get in the phone booth...and then begged to get out.  


I miss seeing all the beautiful buildings on campus.
(Note from Kerry:  the name on the back of the shirt
is "Francis", not "Racist".)

My future Sooners checking out the library
As we were leaving Norman that evening it started raining...pouring actually.  I rolled down my window and just put my hand out for a few miles.  The fragrance of the rain was incredible.  I love the smell of rain on asphalt.  It was the best ending to a great day.

The next morning I woke up my new first grader, got her ready for school, took way too many pictures (as usual,) and off she went.

My first grader

Love this beautiful girl.

I made her take a picture in front of the cougar last year too.  I will get this same picture each year (until she begs me not to out of embarrassment.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE reading your blog. Reading about Hayden and Dolly cracks me up! It reminds me of my Patsy Cline obsession. :) Danielle