Thursday, August 02, 2012

Anniversary Weekend

If you keep up with my blog you will know that last weekend was mine and Kerry's tenth anniversary.  I kind of made it a big deal (*cough*, four different blog entries.)  Anyhow, for years we had always said "we'll go to Hawaii on our tenth anniversary."  After all, ten years was always a really long ways away,  and we would have plenty of years to save up for that.  Well, around this time last year we began to realize that Hawaii may have to be more of a fifteenth or twentieth anniversary trip.  

Several weeks ago we were blessed to stay out our friend's cabin on Lake Tenkiller.  One night as we were laying in the hammock, I looked at Kerry and said, "Why don't we just come here for our anniversary?"  "We love to come here, and it's so beautiful."  Kerry smiled and agreed it sounded like a good plan.



This is a favorite picture of mine. Sweet, cute, and romantic right?  Well, I have to be honest and admit that the scene that occurred while we were trying to get in the hammock was completely ungraceful and very ridiculous.  I was hanging on for dear life while crying from laughing so hard.  It was quite the ordeal.

So I asked, and our lovely and hospitable friends said we welcome to stay in the cabin the weekend of our anniversary, so all was set.  


It's really funny how things change.  I remember a few years ago thinking how I "needed" to have a big elaborate and fancy vacation to celebrate our tenth anniversary.  I was bordering on entitlement.  However, in the car on the way to the cabin (only 20 minutes from where we live) I was so excited to be celebrating ten years of marriage with this wonderful man, I didn't care where we were.  I just wanted to be by his side.  

View from the deck...isn't this beautiful?

We arrived at the cabin and decided to go swim in the lake...kid free!  It was so nice to just lay out in the water, swim, and not have to scrutinize over every thing my children were doing (even when my children wear life jackets, I'm a nervous wreck.)

After we returned from the lake Kerry grilled some steaks while I cooked the sides.  It was actually nice outside so we had dinner on the deck and watched the sunset.  So peaceful.


On Saturday night we decided we would go out to dinner.  Oh, but where to go?  Tahlequah?  Muskogee?  Tulsa?  Then we remembered we hadn't been to Pete's Place in for-e-ver!

Pete's Place is one of our favorite restaurants.  Kerry actually took me there on our 2nd date.  On that 2nd date while we were enjoying out anti-pasta plate, Kerry bit into a peppercini pepper and juice from it shot across the table directly into my eye.  It set my eye on fire. It was equally embarrassing for us both.  

Needless to say, we recovered from the "pepper in the eye" incident, eventually got married, and have returned to Pete's many times since.

I was lazy...I should have taken a better picture of the restaurant. 


If you've never been to Pete's Place, you are missing out.  First, they bring you an anti-pasta plate, salad, and garlic bread.  After that they bring you ravioli, spaghetti, meatballs, and then whatever entree you ordered.  It's all so yum and so much food.  We always, always have leftovers to take home.  Once we forgot our leftover to-go-box on the table and didn't realize it until we got home...it was devastating.

Besides the great food, my favorite thing about Pete's Place is getting your own private room.  We have always had our own room at Pete's, except...wait for it...the night of the "pepper in the eye."  Yep, that night we were in a room with several other couples, making the incident even more awkward and embarrassing.

Anyhow, this weekend we had our own room and it was great.  No food injuries.




10 years!
We arrived back at the cabin just in time to enjoy the sunset. We had a fabulous weekend and a wonderful anniversary.


My favorite :)
Thank-you God for this man I call my husband and best friend.  Thank-you Kerry for choosing me to spend the rest of your life with.


No comments: