Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Granny's house

Once a month the kids and I go to spend the weekend with my granny.  These weekends have truly been a blessing and send me soaring back to my childhood.  The smell of her house, the familiar dishes she's always had, the trees I use to climb, the gigantic rocks I played on, the same blankets I slept on pallets years ago, the numerous flowerbeds, her garden, the stories she shares, and the games she taught us.

When I arrived for my weekend in July I walked into the house and there sat Granny in her glider rocker.  She only sits in this chair, mainly because it's next to the heater; even in the summer time she is always cold.  Anyhow, just like many other days there she sat, bible in her lap and head ducked down because she had dozed off for a nap.  I tried to sneak past her to let her rest, but as always I startled her as I walked by (Granny startles easy, always has.)  She giggled at herself like she always does after startling and said, "Well, hi Cassie!"  I laughed and apologized for scaring her, and made my way into the kitchen to cook us lunch.

The picture below was from that day.  



Granny and I having dinner.  She was telling me about when she used to pick cotton back in the day...and how much she loved it...seriously!




Each time I visit I try and soak up as much as I can.  I love to listen to stories from Granny's life as she freely tells them.  I love to dig out old photo albums she has and study all the pictures.  I walk around the house, the sheds, and barns on her property and reflect on all the memories I have there.  I ask Granny lots of questions about her life and the life of my late Grandpa Henry.  I always laugh as she tells me the stories of my dad as a very ornery child. 


In the past several months I've been taking some pictures of Granny. I've also taken pictures of things at her house that instantly make me smile because of memories attached to them.



Granny's bible.  It's almost as big as she is.  I love how weathered and worn it is.    There isn't a day that goes by that she doesn't read it.


A few months ago, I asked Granny what her favorite books of the Bible were.  She told me she loves Psalms, Proverbs, and all of Paul's letters in the New Testament.  Her favorite verse is John 3:16.



This is the dinner bell that hangs in Granny's kitchen.  It has been there since I was a kid and probably years before that.  It is always rung when a meal is ready so everyone in the living room will know it's time to eat!

I never really thought about the dinner bell being unique in my family until I got older and had to explain it to my guests.


Okay, so when I was a kid I thought Tang was the greatest drink ever (as did the rest of my cousins, siblings, nieces, and nephew.)  Granny would make some Tang in the Tang pitcher--which was also awesomeness--and we would drink it in the miniature juice goblets.  

For breakfast Granny always, without fail, made us chocolate gravy, biscuits, bacon, and we drank Tang.  To this day, I have not found a chocolate gravy that even comes close to the one she made us.  I also learned a long time ago that you cannot get a recipe out of Granny.  I've tried to get certain ones from her, but she uses "pinches" and "little bit" as measuring terms.  My "pinches" and "little bits" aren't the same as hers.



Granny loves, loves, loves knick-knacks.  You will find them all over her house.  This particular shelf displays a slew of them.  

A new knick-knack is often my "go-to" gift for Granny on Christmas.


The only kind of skillet Granny would ever use.  It is perfectly seasoned.


As a child when staying the night at Granny's house she would always pop up some popcorn for us while we watched Walker Texas Ranger.  Walker was her favorite.  I remember her "shushing" us because Walker was on.

When it's sunny outside you will usually see Granny adorning one of her many bonnets as she works in the yard.  I love this one.

Just like knick-knacks, Granny loves her lawn ornaments.  
As a child we were warned never to climb on the deer.  It was a huge temptation for us, but we stayed off...most of the time.



The well  


When I was a kid Granny and Grandpa actually still drew water out of the well.  I don't know if they just liked the taste better than the tap water or what their reasoning was.  Anyhow, I remember Granny having a basin sitting out on the counter with a ladle next to it to for the water.  I, of course, thought it was the most amazing thing ever to drink from the well.  We used to climb and play on the well too.  My brother, niece, and nephew, and I got in trouble several times for throwing rocks down into the well.



If you drive by my Granny's house you will most likely find her doing something like this.  She is 93 years old and still works outside every day she can.  This particular day I found her outside cleaning up the fence row.

Granny loves yard work (I really wish I had inherited that from her.)  If it's warm outside she is one happy gal.  She has beautiful flowers of all sorts in the spring and a garden full of goodness in the summer.   My summers as a child I remember eating tomatoes, squash, okra, corn, cucumbers, new potatoes, peppers, cantaloupe, watermelon, strawberries, and blackberries all from Granny's garden.  This is why summer is my favorite season.




Deacon loves "This Little Piggy" and he makes Granny play it over and over and over again.  One of the first things he does at her house is toss off his shoes, plop down in front of Granny's chair, and give her his "pigs." He thinks she's hilarious.

I loved staying the night with my granny when I was a child.  Now my children are getting to experience a piece of my childhood as they create their own memories with Granny.


Deacon and Hayden with buckets in hand helping Granny with some yard work.  Hayden is always hopeful that Granny will let her plant something.

While the yard-working gene seemed to skip me, my daughter seems to have it.  She loves to dig in the yard and plant seeds.  She likes to follow Granny around to see if she is going to plant anything.


I couldn't pass up this photo op. This will forever be a favorite of mine. 
Granny has been such a positive influence in my life.  There are many reasons I love her.  However, there is one thing she does that makes me love and respect her the most.  She loves God more than anything.  He is first in her life and she has devoted her life to serving him.  She is very open about how much she loves the Lord and what He has done for her.  That is something I want my family to always see in me.

2 comments:

Danna Seabolt Everhart said...

I remember your Granny from when I was a little girl. She just never seems to change ! Not sure she remembers me so much, but all I have to do is tell her I am Check and Hattie's daughter. she remembers them. :-)God Bless her !!

Geri Chappelle chappelle.geri@gmail.com said...

Thanks for the blog. Bro. Thom and I, as well as all our children, have very fond memories of Lorene. They mention her from time to time. It was good to see her the end of May when Thom preached at West Liberty. She is definitely a very godly and lovely lady:)