Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Get Up and Do the Work!

Lately I have been reading through 1 Chronicles in the Old Testament. Yesterday, I felt like I was dragging myself through this book. There is a whole lot of "so-in-so from such-and-such tribe was in charge of this-and-that." I was really trying to read every detail, but I found myself hoping 1 Chronicles would be over soon. Almost as soon as those thoughts came into my head I came across this verse:

Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Don't be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. -1 Chronicles 28:20a

King David spoke these words to his son Solomon who was to inherit the throne soon. David wanted to build a temple for God while he was king, but God stopped him and informed him his son was the one he chose to do this work. David was giving Solomon all the instructions and details he had received from God on how to build the temple. Building God's temple wasn't something that would be done easily or to be taken lightly. For Solomon I imagine receiving this command was overwhelming and a little scary (it would be for me anyways!). But, for Solomon it wasn't a task he should fear. God had set him apart to do this work. Not his father David, but him. God wanted Solomon to carry out this work. God would be with him every step of the way, if Solomon would just trust him and be obedient.

This scripture was something I currently needed to read. It shed a lot of light on my own heart. When God lays something on my heart to do, sometimes I panic a bit. God has asked me to do things that I knew would be impossible on my own. Even though He has been faithful time and time again to do the impossible in my own life, I still have the tendency to panic with each new task.

I also have the tendency to get discouraged or even give up if I don't see positive results or if I cannot see the light at the end. I have walked away from many tasks because I was too discouraged. When I think about how selfish that is, it saddens me. When I give up because I'm too discouraged or scared I'm simply not trusting God.

If God tells you to do His work, He's going to give you all you need to accomplish it. He will never leave you or forsake you. When we let those feelings of fear or discouragement creep in instead we need to go to God. He alone can renew our strength and give us the endurance to keep pressing on.

Is there something you know God wants you to do, but you've put it off or tried to push it on someone else? Be honored that God wants to use you to accomplish His work.

Instead be strong and courageous and do the work! Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you!


1 comment:

shawna said...

Really needed this one--thanks!