Friday, September 05, 2014

Panic or Trust

At our church, The Crossing, my husband Kerry has been preaching through the book of Matthew. This has been my favorite thing he has taught on in our entire 10 years of being in ministry. We've been in Matthew for weeks now as he has been walking us through the book a few verses at a time. (Side note: If you don't have a church home and you live in the Gore area, we would love to have you sometime!)

When Kerry started preaching through Matthew I decided to also study the book along side. I love the gospels, and to study Matthew individually and as a church has been awesome to see the many different things God is pointing out to me.

This particular day I was in Chapter 8.

Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat, but Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!"

He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.

The men were amazed and asked, "what kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!" -Matthew 8:23-27

So Jesus and his disciples take off in a boat. These guys aren't just newbies who Jesus just met and decided to get on a boat together. They've been with Jesus for some time now. They've seen him do some pretty amazing things. Healing people of various sicknesses by either speaking, "You're healed," or by touching them and making them well. They were there as he gave the Sermon on the Mount. They also knew who he claimed to be; he wasn't hiding that from them. Yet, they still didn't quite believe...

As they were in the boat, a furious storm hits, and the panic sets in. The disciples are freaking out, and although Jesus was on the boat with them all they can see or focus on is the huge waves, the pounding storm, the imminent danger. Who cares if Jesus is on the boat?! He obviously doesn't know what's going on anyways because he's sleeping!! This storm is going to end us! 

They knew Jesus was on the boat because they ran to him pleading for him to wake up and save them or they would drown. So they knew he was there, but they were afraid he wasn't aware of the dire situation. Jesus, we know you claim to be God and all, but I don't think you are aware of what exactly is going on here.

In the moment of fear and panic they doubted him.

They doubted his knowledge and awareness

They doubted his power

They doubted his love

They doubted his provision

It all went out the window. They had been there and witnessed his power many times before, yet in their time of trouble they trusted in what they were currently experiencing...a horrendous storm.

After waking Jesus, he replies, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?"

I imagine they were like, "Um, really? Can you not see the giant waves pouring over the boat?"

He then gets up and rebukes the wind and the waves, and all is calm. I've read this passage many times before, but for the first time I really noticed something. After confronting the disciples with their lack of faith he performs an act of grace by calming the storm. He revealed his almighty power by speaking the weather and sea into submission. So you see his almighty authority, but also his grace. He calmed the sea, and in that moment calmed the panic and fear by reminding them who he was, and that He was with them. They had no reason to panic, God was right there with them in the boat.

I imagine their draws dropping. We know they were amazed because of their statement: "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him?"

I wonder if they felt embarrassed by their lack of faith? I always do...

I cannot tell you how many times I've panicked. When a storm comes out of no where and I had no time to prepare my first inclination is to freak out. "God, I do not think you see the magnitude of this storm. You couldn't possibly or you would do something! Where are you?"

And he's right there. Every single time. He knows I want to panic, be dramatic, and play worst case scenario before I really stop and trust him. I know he must sit and wait saying "I'm right here, I already have all the information, When you're ready to stop and trust me I'm here."

He's right there waiting for me to see him, to run to him, to trust him. The storm might be overwhelming and terrifying, but I don't have to go through it alone, I have the maker of the universe to lean on through it all.

I wrote this a few weeks ago. Last night one of life's unexpected storms hit. Guess what? Right away I panicked. I panicked for a good hour before I stopped. I only stopped because I felt God gently reminding me of this passage. I knew I had a choice, continue to panic and trust only in the circumstances or go to God, trust him, and know that he is bigger than the storm.

It's not easy, and it never feels natural. I've already caught myself many times trying to run back to the fear and panic. As soon as I catch myself trying to go there I have to run to God. When I do he reminds me of this passage. He's also reminding me of everything else he has brought me through. It's so easy to forget all that when times are tough, but it's important that we not forget.


No comments: