Monday, August 05, 2013

Sweet Summer Time

Summer break is rapidly coming to an end for my kiddos.  School starts on Thursday! The last few weeks we have been cramming in as much fun as we possibly can before August 8th arrives.  I am incredibly sad to send my kids to school...Deacon for the first time.  I'll have more about this upcoming sobbing meltdown (me, not him) in a few days.

Anyhow, back to happiness and summer fun.  A few weeks ago we took our annual trip to The Blue Hole in Salina, Oklahoma.  This is by far one of our favorite places to go each summer.  The water temperature stays between 56-60 degrees...freezing, but awesome on those brutal Oklahoma summer days.  The springs that feed the water hole are what keeps the temperature so cool, and why the water is so clear and beautiful.
Last week I promised Hayden we would have a mother-daughter day and Deacon a mother-son day.  Hayden's special day was first.

I have reached the point of my pregnancy where painting my own pigs (toe-nails, we call them pigs) is no longer an option.  I was in dire need of a piggy-grooming, and Hayden had never had a pedicure before so I thought it would be fun to surprise her.

We had lunch at Vidalia's (one of our Tahlequah favs,) and afterwards I drove her to our surprise destination.  She was really excited when we walked in the nail salon and I said, "Two pedicures please."

She was really cute and comical to watch.  They turned the massage chair on and it was pretty much just throwing her around and beating her up.  She was very relieved when I showed her the button to turn it off.  After that she fully enjoyed the experience.





Me in the blue toes, Hayden in the hot-pink zebra...naturally.
After our pedicures we did what girls do and went out for some ice cream.  It was a perfect girl's day.

Next up was mother-son day.  I gave Deacon the option to go duck-pin bowling or go to the movie theater.  Deacon chose "bowling-bowling."  That's what he calls it. Bowling-bowling he wanted so bowling-bowling we went.

The Wolf at Tenkiller golf-course is where the duck-pin bowling is located.  It's perfect for little kids because the bowling balls are a third of the size of a normal bowling ball, and the pins are smaller too.  We also had the place to ourselves--bonus!
Deacon trying one of his many methods




I don't know how we managed to keep the same exact score for a few frames, but we did.  We are both horrible.
After bowling, Deacon and I ate at the restaurant in the club house.  Our family actually eats there pretty often. It's a great little place to eat.  Deacon and Mama day was a success.

Today we went to the lake. My kids are little lake rats.  They love it, and I love that they love it.  I drag my lounge chair into the water and soak up the sun while the kids play in the water.

My kids play very differently in the water and they play separate for the most part. Hayden is rarely above water.  She LOVES to go under and flip and flop and try new swimming techniques.  In fact I bought her a nose plug at the beginning of the summer and it's her new favorite thing in the world. Today she went into great description of what her future swim class...that she would be teaching...would be like one day. "Nose plugs, life vests, and snack-time."

Deacon rarely goes under water, and doesn't stray too far from the shore.  He is constantly singing a song, quoting a show or movie lyrics, or playing some kind of game he has made up.  But he's always talking.  Today after the singing and movie lyric quoting, he found a piece of driftwood and was attacking the incoming waves to protect us all.

Enjoying a snack in between their swim.
Summer is my favorite, I'm so sad to see it coming to an end!

1 comment:

jonathon said...

You're a great Mommy!