Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Accidental Pumpkin Patch

Kerry, Hayden, nor I have any idea when she actually planted the seeds.  We came home from a weekend get-a-way several weeks ago and noticed a really long vine with blossoms growing in front of our porch.  Hayden became very excited.  "I planted cucumber seeds Bear (her grandpa) gave me and they are growing!"  So we all assumed we had a cucumber plant growing.  (For those of you laughing because you know what a cucumber vs pumpkin plant looks like, you can keep laughing.  We know nothing about gardening in this house.)

A few weeks later we were surprised to see little green vegetables growing off the vine...except they weren't cucumbers.  They were little bitty pumpkins!  

What's crazy is for the last two years Hayden has begged us to plant pumpkin seeds so she could have her very own pumpkin patch.  Each year we say "we'll do it this year."  Yet, year after year we forget and the time to plant comes and passes and we always say "we'll remember next year."

So this year Hayden, although by accident, planted her own pumpkin seeds and has a crop of 4 pumpkins.  We would probably have several others, but the deer keep eating the blossoms at night. 

I'm so proud of her.  She loves gardens, flowers, and plants.  I'm hoping the very green thumb my Granny has (that I certainly do not have)  is re-appearing in my lovely daughter.





My proud little farmer.

1 comment:

Abigail - 100 Yards of Love said...

Haha! How funny! I saw your sweet little girl last night at the Gore Football game. She was sporting that green cheerleading uniform so well! Hope you all are doing well.

Hope to see you soon!
-Abbey Blankenship