Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Persistence

I was reading in the book of Luke the other day (side note: if you have a smart phone please download the YouVersion Bible app…it’s awesome and free.) I was in chapter 11 when I came across Jesus teaching his disciples how to pray. Almost all of us have read or heard the Lord’s Prayer. This is not the part I’m referring to today. It’s what came after that spoke to me.

Then he said to them, “Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.’ “Then the one inside answers, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is already locked and my children are with me in bed. I can’t get up and give you anything.’ I tell you, though he will not get up and give him the bread because he is his friend, yet because of the man’s boldness he will get up and give him as much as he needs. “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Luke 11:5-10

I believe Jesus was telling them/us we to be persistent. When we are looking for answers, praying over situations, or asking for something in particular we need to come to God often. We should be praying until we’ve gotten our answer (days, weeks, years.) It’s not because God is incredibly busy. It’s not because God is really old and forgetful and in need of our reminders. It’s not because God likes us to meet some prayer quota. “Okay, Cassie has now prayed for this particular pray 53 times now…that’s the number for this prayer…it’s time to deliver her the answer.” Instead, I believe it’s for our sake, for our benefit. It’s what happens in waiting period. When we are dedicated to our prayers it draws us closer to him. When we come to our Father time and time again, seriously seeking out His will, we learn to depend on him. We learn to appreciate Him. We spend time with Him, talking to Him. We learn more about Him and He reveals more about ourselves along the way. When God does answer the prayer, we learn sincere gratitude. When it’s a prayer you are so dedicated to praying and the Lord answers we are so much more thankful than if God just granted our every request instantly.

I came across this at the perfect time. I have been praying about something for several months. At times I have felt my prayer to be almost annoying because I keep asking and asking for God to answer or even give me a glimpse of an answer. I was feeling as though maybe I needed to back off. I’ve prayed this prayer what seemed a million times and perhaps it was time to take a break from it. Then I see Jesus’ very words telling me to be like the guy pestering his friend! I was immediately encouraged. (I love when I can feel God encouraging me; it’s the best encouragement.) God wants us to come to Him, and to keep coming to Him. His answers may not always be in the timing we desire. They may not always be answers we understand or want. But when we are in persistent prayer, we get the benefit of knowing this amazing, sovereign God a little more and more. So keep knocking!!

1 comment:

blh42@att.net said...

Right on Cassie! All you said is so true and.... In my life it helps me to see my need for Him and His wisdom which includes His timing and knowledge of all things. It sometimes shows me also and new way to pray or how totally dependent I am on Him. Good girl!!