Monday, February 24, 2014

Oh Darling, Don't You Ever Grow Up

The other night I told Hayden to get her homework done. She came downstairs with her reader and plopped down next to her baby sister. Again I said, "Hayden, you need to get your homework done." I then added, "You cannot watch TV and read your reader." She replied, "Mama, I'm going to read my story to Ainslee." "Oh okay...that sounds good," I told her.

Most of the time, I am so oblivious to moments I should take in. Hayden has read Ainslee's books to her several times. But for some reason I decided to sit and just observe this moment. Actually, I shouldn't say "for some reason." It was God nudging me to stop and enjoy.

Hayden read the story to Ainslee. It was something about baby animals...I think. As she read the story, she held Ainslee in her lap and held her little hands.

After reading the story she held, cuddled, and played with her baby sister in the floor like she does every single night. What happened next was what nearly did me in.

As she was holding her, looking her in the eyes, she started singing, "Oh darling, don't you ever grow up, don't you ever grow up..."

Okay, let me just say, when I see the commercial with that song I almost cry each time. But hearing my eldest daughter singing it to my youngest daughter? I had to fight extra hard for the tears to not fall.

I love these girls and their brother so much that I feel like my heart might actually burst sometimes.

I love them little.

I love the innocence they still possess.

I love that my Hayden thinks "sexy" is a bad word.

I love that my Deacon hugs me really big when I pick him up from school.

I love that my Ainslee gets tickled when you play peek-a-boo with her.

It physically hurts to think about them growing up. My time with them is so short. I hate that I cannot slow time down.

God, please protect them and keep them innocent for as long as possible. Thank you for the incredible gift in being their mama. I'm so honored you chose them for me. They are amazing.




No comments: